Azure Farm Yellow Split Peas, Org, 5 lbs. by Azure Farm
Azure Farm Yellow Split Peas, Org
Legumes have been used throughout the earth for thousands of years. They come in hundreds of shapes, sizes and colors, are versatile and amazingly convenient because they can be dried and stored for years. Soaking beans for a couple of hours brings them back to life, activating enzymes, proteins, minerals and vitamins.
Beans can be eaten raw, sprouted or cooked, ground into flour, curdled into tofu, fermented into soya sauce, tempi and miso. They are excellent in chilies, soups and salads. Beans are high in iron and packed with protein. They are also a rich source of thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, potassium, phosphorus and an excellent source of fiber and complex carbohydrates. They are low in sodium and saturated fats.
The whole pea is dried, their skins removed and they are split in half. They are wonderful in soups and do not need to be soaked before cooking.
Dry peas, like their lentil cousins, have been around for thousands of years. Peas are a high protein food and a good source of potassium and the B-vitamins. Complex carbohydrates, which peas provide, release energy slowly to the body. This helps to maintain a consistent energy level. In contrast, sugars are broken down quickly within the body, causing it to "crash" or feel tired after the sugar has been used.
Legumes have more dietary fiber than any other major food groups, including grains. One-half cup of cooked peas or lentils provides more than 10 grams of dietary fiber. Vegetables average 5 grams, and grains average 3 grams. A high fiber diet may help prevent heart disease and some cancers.
Peas, lentils, and chickpeas are also a good source of folate.
INGREDIENTS: Organic Yellow Split Peas.
Serving Size: 1/4 cup dry (60 g)
Servings Per Container: About 38 (5 lb. size)
Servings Per Container: About 19 (40 oz. size)
Nutrient Amount %DV
Calories from Fat 5
Total Fat 0.5 g 1%
Trans Fat -- g
Sodium 10 mg 0%
Total Carbohydrate 36 g 12%
Dietary Fiber 4 g 17%
Sugars 5 g
Protein 15 g
Not a significant source of saturated fat, cholesterol, vitamin A and vitamin C.
- Basic cooking: For every cup of dry peas, use two cups water. With split peas, there is no need to soak. Bring water to a boil and cook for about 30 minutes, or until the peas reach desired tenderness.
- One cup of dried peas will yield two cups of cooked peas.
- Azure Farm is located in the foothills east of Mt. Hood with a fantastic view of the Cascades and farm land in the valleys below. This is wheat growing country where dry-land farming produces an abundance of soft white wheat and other grains. But what makes our farm different from most other wheat farms is our growing practices. We've been growing organically for over 25 years, and are attempting to go beyond basic "organic" (which only ensures which harmful things have not been used). We try to keep up with organic soil amendments that will actually improve our soil, and consequently improve the food itself.
- Any items with the Azure Farm label which are not grown on Azure Farm, are from farms which we know have been growing organically for many years, doing whatever they can to ensure healthy soil, so the food on your table is also healthy.
- Why go organic? Organic foods are grown without synthetic fertilizers, pesticides, or herbicides. Organic foods are not genetically modified. Organic foods are grown in soil that is nurtured, not treated... which means top soil, groundwater, rivers, lakes, streams, watersheds, fish & wildlife, and people are not compromised. Healthy food grows in healthy soil. You can often taste the organic difference!